Youth Volunteer Opportunities
The Orinda Volunteer Center, offers a variety of one-day and on-going opportunities for student credit and the experience of pure joy by helping others.
- Lamorinda Adult Respite Center LARC, seeking volunteers to assist activity leaders with activities for our participants with Alzheimer's or other related dementias. Shifts run from 10:30 am to 3:00 pm, weekdays. Easy, fun and rewarding volunteer work. Can provide volunteer teens with letter for community service requirements. For more information, contact Beth Montgomery 925-254-3465 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Orinda In Action Day - April 19, 2014
This Community Service event coincides with Earth Day as a way for Orindans to lend a hand to beautify and clean up our City. Everyone is welcome! Children of all ages, teens, college students and grandparents are invited to spend a few hours at this fun & rewarding event. We will match volunteers with appropriate projects around town. Please contact: email@example.com or click http://www.orindafoundation.org/
- American Cancer Society - Relay for Life Lamorinda. WE NEED YOU! We are looking for Enthusiastic, Energetic and Committed people. Teams of 2-15 people camp out and take turns walking, jogging, or running the track for 24 hours--cancer NEVER sleeps. We have volunteer opportunities to fit ANY busy schedule! Please contact www.relayforlife.org/LamorindaCA
Next Lamorinda event: August 2, 2014
- Foster A Dream - This non-profit organization fulfills the needs and dreams of Bay Area foster children. Their goal is to provide over 1500 Bay Area foster children with backpacks and supplies needed for this school year. For more information about Foster A Dream and upcoming events, go to www.fosteradream.org
- NorCal Kids Triathlon, August 30, 2014 Volunteers needed to help with this annual event. There are countless ways you can help make this event a success. We depend on volunteer support to ensure a great day for all involved. For more information go to:
- Friends of The Orinda Library: Our volunteers log thousands of hours each year and we thank you! If you have some time, our greatest needs are:
* "Book Sleuth" to search the library's collection of books and other items that have been tagged by patrons for 'holds'. If you can commit a couple of hours per week to this important work, please visit the Orinda Library's Circulation desk for an application.
* "Book Shop Staff" to help run the Friends' Book Shop when open. Monday through Saturday. Volunteers should be comfortable handling cash--no credit cards. Help open and close bookshop, assisting customers. Work in pairs two times a month. Call Joan Montgomery at 925-639-5537.
* "Book Sorters" to sort through the many books donated each week in the library sorting room, Monday through Wednesday mornings from 10 AM to noon. Call Pam Pulley at 254-4450.
- Chabot Space & Science Center: Chabot Space & Science Center’s Galaxy Explorers program for middle and high school students offers hands-on, fun, community service work. Explorers perform live public science demonstrations, explain interactive exhibits, and work as aids in Chabot’s summer camp program. Assignments take place during weekends, weekday evenings, Saturdays, holidays, and vacation periods. Galaxy Explorers also conduct exciting outreach programs at schools, community centers, and festivals. For more information on this dynamic volunteer program see website www.chabotspace.org or call Contact: (510) 336-7329 or contact via email GalaxyExplorers@ChabotSpace.org
- Orinda Library: volunteers needed to help shelve library materials and other library needs. Minimum 6 month commitment please. Training is provided. 1-2 hours per week, flexible days and times including weekends. Must be 15 years or older. Contact Lynn Look at 254-2184.
- Orinda Police Department seeking youth interested in law enforcement careers to become volunteer cadets. 16-21 years old are welcome to apply. You will wear uniforms and badges, you are trained in CPR and first aid, you will ride with officers, learn crime-scene processing, report writing, basic laws of arrest, visit the jail and help at crime scenes with crowd and traffic control. Please call 254-6820 for details.
- The Orinda Historical Society Museum needs help 3 pm-5 pm Mon, Wed, or Fri. and Saturdays, sorting and organizing historical donations, data entry, file organization, log in of maps, catalogs, multimedia. Contact the Museum at 254-1353 or 650-349-3382.
How to get started
If you need volunteer help:
Click here for Request for Volunteers Form