ADULT VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
The Orinda Volunteer Center offers a variety of one-day and on-going volunteer opportunities in Orinda and the East Bay.
- Remember & Go, Contra Costa County Library Local History Digitization Project, The Library is seeking volunteers to assist in digitizing content for a database of historical materials pertaining to and unique to Contra Costa County. Shifts run from 2 hours per week, morning or afternoon. Training will be provided. Location: Pleasant Hill Library. For more information, contact Diane McDonnell or Chris Brown at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org Or call 925-376-3852 / 925-646-6434
- Lamorinda Adult Respite Center LARC, seeking volunteers to assist activity leaders with activities for our participants with Alzheimer's or other related dementias. Shifts run from 10:30 am to 3:00 pm, weekdays. Easy, fun and rewarding volunteer work. Can provide volunteer teens with letter for community service requirements. For more information, contact Beth Montgomery 925-254-3465 or email@example.com.
- Volunteer at Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley : Discover, Engage & Innovate. Want to learn and share exciting and interactive experiences with future scientists? As a Hall volunteer, you will have the opportunity to help kids and families experience hands-on science, assist our instructors in our classes and workshops and be an ambassador of our mission and programs out in the community or here at the Hall. Learn about our program and how you can get involved at our next adult volunteer orientation. For more information and to sign up for our next orientation, visit http://www.lawrencehallofscience.org/g et_involved/join_our_team/volunteer
- Experience Corps: Become a tutor or mentor to students in grades K-3 who need extra support in literacy. Training available to adults 55+. Please call: 415-759-4223 email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Friends of The Orinda Library: Our volunteers log thousands of hours each year and we thank you! If you have some time, our greatest needs are:
"Book Sleuth" to search the library's collection of books and other items that have been tagged by patrons for 'holds'. If you can commit a couple of hours per week to this important work, please visit the Orinda Library's Circulation desk for an application.
"Book Shop Staff" to help run the Friends' Book Shop when open. Monday through Saturday. Volunteers should be comfortable handling cash--no credit cards. Help open and close bookshop, assisting customers. Work in pairs two times a month. Call Joan Montgomery at 925-639-5537.
"Book Sorters" to sort through the many books donated each week in the library sorting room, Monday through Wednesday mornings from 10AM to noon. Call Pam Pulley at 254-4450.
- Orinda Historical Society Museum: Volunteers needed for data entry, file organization, log in of maps, catalogs and multimedia. 3 pm-5 pm M, W, F or Saturdays. Contact the Museum at 254-1353 or 650-349-3382. Training Provided!
- Orinda Library: volunteers needed to help shelve library materials. Minimum 6 month commitment please. 1-2 hours per week, flexible days and times. Please contact Lynn Look at 254-2184.
- NorCal Kids Triathlon, "Tri 4 Health" Volunteers needed to help with this annual event. There are countless ways you can help make this event a success. We depend on volunteer support to ensure a great day for all involved. For more information go to: http://www.norcalkidstri.org/norcalkidstri/volunteer
- American Cancer Society - Relay for Life of Orinda. WE NEED YOU! We are looking for Enthusiastic, Energetic and Committed people. Teams of 2-15 people camp out and take turns walking, jogging, or running the track for 24 hours--cancer NEVER sleeps. We have volunteer opportunities to fit ANY busy schedule! Contact Katherine Niehoff: email@example.com
- Orinda Arts Council: The many volunteers of The Orinda Arts Council are the power behind our organization. If you would like to donate your services to our arts support agency, we offer an array of volunteer opportunities. Visit our website to share details on your availability, and your particular areas of interest and skills: http://orindaartscouncil.org/volunteer
- Chabot Space & Science Center: Join a dynamic team dedicated to creating a FUN and interactive science experience for our visitors. We do not require a science or astronomy background to apply, just a healthy sense of adventure and desire to learn and share! For more info or to RSVP for the orientation call our Volunteer Department at (510) 336-7395 or Volunteers@ChabotSpace.org
- CAL Shakes Theater Ushers/Event Support: Seeking volunteer ushers from May-October. For more information call 510-548-3422 x 101 or go to www.Calshakes.org
- Orinda Historical Society Museum: Volunteers needed for data entry, file organization, log in of maps, catalogues and multimedia. 3pm-5pm M, W, F or Saturdays. Contact the Museum at 254-1353 or 650-349-3382. Training Provided!
- Drivers for Orinda Senior Residents-seeking volunteers interested in Orinda's Registered Ride Share Program, Seniors Around Town, an on-demand, door-to-door service for senior residents. Your time commitment can be as little as 1 morning a month or several days a month, and you decide how far you are willing to drive- Walnut Creek or just to Orinda BART. Call 925-402-4506 to find out more information about this very rewarding program.
- Senior Helpline Services, volunteer for the "Reassurance Program" which matches each client with a volunteer phone friend who will keep the promise to call daily. A 5-10 minute call reassures the senior that someone cares, and if they need help resources are available. For more information call 925-284-2207.
Community-based volunteering opportunities for students and adults from one-day to on-going projects.
If you need volunteer help:
Click here for Request for Volunteers Form